Are Your Appliances the Cause of Electrical Problems in the Home?

Today, so many things in our world use electricity to operate. From home appliances to cars, we depend on electricity to function. But with the convenience that electricity offers comes the responsibility to ensure that electrical faults are avoided by proper maintenance and observation.  Electrical problems in home may be due to faults in our home appliances. Malfunctioning appliances may lead to circuit overloading, electrical surges, electrical dips, sags, and even fires.

What Are the Dangers Of Malfunctioning Appliances?

Multifunctioning appliances can expose you to various risks, which include:

1) Fire

The most feared outcome of malfunctioning appliances is fire. A small electrical malfunction can lead to a significant fire if it ignites other items in the room, such as draperies, walls, furniture, or even flooring.

2) Electrocution

If a device is powered by electricity, it has the potential to deliver an electric shock. Metallic appliances such as space heaters and toasters have a high risk of electric shock. Sometimes the wires connecting an appliance to the socket may wear out, exposing the members of the family and even pets to possible injury by electrocution.

Why Are Your Appliances Causing Problems?

When one of your appliances sends a significant electrical current to your wiring structure, your home circuit breaker should stop working (trip). Homes in various places in the U.S., including Las Vegas, Nevada, have circuit breakers which are vital for keeping the wires from overheating. When your circuit breaker trips, it would be best if you did not flip it back before knowing the root cause of the problem. You might also increase the chances of an electrical fire.

1. Surge Damage

Power surge technology usually protects appliances with microprocessors designed for that purpose. These surges can be caused by power outages, lightning, or even internal surges in the respective appliances. Internal surges on appliances can cause the appliance to be destroyed and that surge can travel through the appliance to the wall outlet. Leaving appliances plugged in when not in use is a practice that should be avoided.

2. Physical Damage

Physical damage occurs when a significant power surge burns electrical components, such as electrical outlets and delicate connectors of appliances, and may lead to an electrical fire. This damage may occur even if the circuit breaker trips, so if you are in Las Vegas, Nevada, you should consult a licensed electrical enterprise such as Sin City Electrical for help in tracking down what led to the power surge.

What to Do When You Have Electrical Problems in Your Home

You might experience various household electrical problems, including electrical surges, tripping of circuit breakers, warm outlets or switches, dim lights, and electrical shocks. It is best to check your appliances regularly and see if you can notice any wear on the wires or any potential damage. If your circuit breaker trips immediately after switching on an appliance, don’t hesitate to contact a Las Vegas Electrician to help you fix the problem.

Simple Steps to Do In Case Of an Electrical Problem

1. Check the Switches

Checking switches on small electrical appliances can be a quick way of troubleshooting electrical problems. Ensure that power reaches the device. Sometimes a device doesn’t work because the switch is in an odd place and has accidently been turned off.

2. Check the Circuit Breaker

If you discover that the circuit breaker trips regularly, it might indicate that one of your appliances has malfunctioned. If the circuit breaker is doing it’s job it will trip when there is a problem. It cannot handle the amount of current passing through it. However, circuit breakers also wear out; consider how long you’ve been using them.

3. Look for a Short Circuit

A short circuit may result from loose wires that come into contact with each other. A short circuit may cause a power surge, and therefore, your circuit breaker may trip continuously.

If you discover that one of your electrical appliances has started showing signs of collapse, you might believe it is the only appliance experiencing trouble. However, this might not be the case; faulty appliances can send power surges into your whole electrical system, resulting in damage ranging from relatively small bits of wear and tear on other equipment to catastrophic electrical fires.

The possibility of the occurrence of these consequences means it would be best to do some electrical troubleshooting to determine what the real problem might be. Look for a professional who can solve the problem so that you can continue using your appliance. If you are in Las Vegas, Nevada, contact Sin City Electrical to get in touch with professional electricians today!

Need an Electrician in Henderson, Las Vegas or Boulder City, NV?

Contact us today, and one of our experts will get in touch and help you with all your Electrical related questions.

Scroll to Top