Common Causes of Electrical Shocks at Home

Electrical shocks can be dangerous and even fatal. If you experience an electrical shock while you’re at home, it’s important to get help right away. Your Las Vegas electrical contractor will be able to inspect your wiring and devices in order to identify the source of the problem. They’ll then recommend solutions that will keep you safe from future shocks. If you want to avoid an electrical shock in your home, read on for common causes and signs of electrical problems:

Faulty Wiring

Faulty wiring is one of the most common causes of electrical shocks. Faulty wiring can be caused by chafing, insulation breakdown, or faulty splices. It can also result from loose connections like loose wire nuts. If you notice any of these problems with your electrical system, you should contact an electrician immediately to get them fixed before they cause serious damage or injury in your home.

Water and Electricity

Water is one of the biggest causes of electrical shocks at home. When water comes in contact with an electric source, it can cause a short circuit and start a fire.
Water is an excellent conductor of electricity, so if water gets into your electrical system or onto the ground where you have exposed wires, it will conduct electricity better than air would—and this could result in an electric shock when touching something that conducts electricity. If not touching anything conductive directly but still standing on wet ground (where there are exposed wires) then any stray voltage from nearby sources can pass through your body instead of being dissipated through the natural resistance of dry earth or concrete.

Loose Electrical Connections

Loose electrical connections can cause sparks, fires and electrical shocks. They can also cause equipment to overheat, short circuit or malfunction. You may think that a loose connection isn’t dangerous because it doesn’t create a spark when you touch it, but it can still be deadly. This is because the heat inside the wires will build up until they reach their melting When you touch them, it can result in severe burns.

Overloaded Circuits

Overloading is a common cause of electrical fires. Overloading can be caused by too many appliances plugged in or too many devices on one circuit, which leads to overheating and short circuits. Overloading also makes it easier for a fire to spread from one outlet to another by causing sparks that ignite combustible materials nearby.
It’s important to make sure your home has enough circuits so that you’re not overloading them, especially since they’re often cheaply made and prone to burning out when they’re pushed past their limits. If you have any questions about which outlets are being overloaded at your house, contact an electrician who can give you advice on how best to address the issue!

Corroded Connections

Corrosion is a big problem, and it can cause electrical shock. In the case of corroded connections, moisture from the air or nearby surfaces contaminates exposed areas of wires, resulting in rust and eventual failure. The most common way to prevent corrosion is to keep your home clean and dry with proper ventilation, but if you have already experienced it on your appliances or electronics, now’s the time to take action.
To fix corroded connections:

  • Cut off all power sources (disconnect at least two ways) before attempting any repairs.
  • You should use extreme caution when handling exposed wires because even small amounts of electricity are dangerous; do not touch any part of the circuit while working on it! If possible use rubber gloves while working on these items as well as safety goggles or glasses to protect yourself from harm during this process.* Remove all loose debris/dust particles that might be covering up any damaged areas within each device/appliance being repaired.* Inspect every inch closely looking for signs such as discoloration which could indicate where there has been some type of corrosion or rusting has occurred. If any signs of corrosion are found remove them with a small brush and clean the area with a damp cloth and water or rubbing alcohol. Once you have cleaned off all foreign particles from your devices/appliances, use sandpaper to lightly sand away any rust that might have formed on their surfaces. Make sure to blow off any debris before applying paint or primer onto each area that is going to be repaired.

Improper Use of Extension Cords

In order to avoid electrical shocks from common extension cords follow these tips:

  • Use extension cords with the right wattage.
  • Use extension cords in good condition.
  • Do not use extension cords as permanent wiring.
  • Do not run multiple extension cords together or plug one cord into another cord; this is a fire hazard.

Damaged Appliances

Before you use an appliance, check it for any signs of damage. Replace or repair the cord if it’s frayed, cracked or loose in the outlet. Keep small appliances away from water and children as they can be easily damaged when wet. If you see smoke coming out of an appliance that has been unplugged for some time (for example, a fan or computer), turn off the power at the circuit breaker before attempting to remove it from its socket—something may have shorted out in the machine’s internals.

If an appliance is damaged to such an extent that it poses a serious shock hazard (for example, if there is visible damage to wires), do not use it until repairs are made by a qualified technician. Contact an electrician for immediate service if necessary and dispose of damaged electrical equipment according to local regulations.

Electrical shocks can be dangerous and sometimes fatal. Your Las Vegas electrical contractor can help keep you safe. You should always call an electrician if you suspect a problem with your electrical system.

Electrical shocks can cause serious injuries and even death. If you’re in Las Vegas and have experienced an electrical shock, it’s important that you call an electrician as soon as possible to avoid further damage occurring. Your electrical contractor will be able to inspect your home or business to determine the source of the problem and recommend solutions to prevent future incidents.

Need an Electrician in Henderson, Las Vegas or Boulder City, NV?

Contact us today, and one of our experts will get in touch and help you with all your Electrical related questions.

Scroll to Top