Introduction

Electrical safety is important in the workplace to prevent injury and property damage. Electrical hazards can occur when equipment is not properly maintained or operated. Follow these tips to keep workers safe:

Maintain a safe work environment.

  • Keep the workplace clean and free of clutter. Avoid storing electrical cords under desks or in walkways.
  • Use GFCI protection if required by OSHA regulations.
  • Make sure all electrical equipment is properly grounded.

Inspect all work areas for damaged power cords and keep them clear of traffic.

  • Keep all power cords well away from foot traffic and inspect them for damage.
  • Make sure that the insulation on all electrical equipment is in good condition, without any signs of wear or damage. If there are signs of damage, replace the cord immediately.
  • Do not use extension cords as permanent wiring: they should be used only temporarily to plug in temporary equipment such as portable lamps or fans; never use an extension cord as a substitute for permanent wiring.

Do not overload outlets and extension cords.

  • Do not plug too many appliances into an outlet or extension cord.
  • Overloading can cause fires and electrical shock.
  • Use a power strip to avoid overloading outlets. Power strips have built-in overload protection, so you don’t have to worry about plugging too many devices into one outlet at once.

Do not use electrical equipment while in wet or damp conditions.

It is important to keep in mind that electrical equipment, such as power tools and extension cords, are not waterproof. You should never use these items in wet or damp conditions.

It is equally unsafe to plug an electrical device into a wet or damp outlet. Although some outlets have covers that protect them from water damage when they’re not being used, it’s always best practice to make sure your outlets are completely dry before connecting any type of electrical device.

Water and electricity do not mix at all: when they come into physical contact with each other while passing through the wires of an appliance or outlet, there’s potential for dangerous electrical shock. For example, if you accidentally knock over a glass of water while using a computer keyboard on your lap and then reach out toward one end of the keyboard (which contains many wires), you could potentially be electrocuted by coming into contact with some electrical current that travels through one end of the wire (and thus through your body).

Always clean up spills immediately.

Another important electrical safety rule is to clean up spills immediately. If you have a spill on your work area, throw down some paper towels and wipe it up right away.

Make sure all flammable liquids like gasoline and alcohol are stored safely outside of the workplace—it’s best if they’re always kept in an area that’s far away from any electrical circuits! This will help prevent fires from starting accidentally while also keeping workers safe from harm while they’re working on their tasks each day as well

Do not use plugs or wire connectors that are loose fitting.

You should always ensure that all plugs and wire connectors are firmly connected to the appliance. If you see sparks or hear a popping sound, unplug the appliance immediately.
Do not use plugs or wire connectors that are loose fitting.

Make sure to use only Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) protection if required by OSHA regulations.

  • Be sure to use only approved GFCI devices and install them according to the manufacturer’s directions.
  • If you have any doubt about whether or not your workplace is required by OSHA regulations to have Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) protection, check with your employer or supervisor before proceeding.

Always know the location of emergency power switches, fire blankets, fire extinguishers and first-aid kits.

  • Make sure you are familiar with the location of emergency power switches, fire blankets, fire extinguishers and first-aid kits.
  • Have your employees trained in how to use these tools effectively. Signposting is an easy way to keep everyone informed about where everything is located.

Employees should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for electrical equipment.

  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for electrical equipment.
  • Do not modify the equipment.
  • Do not use damaged electrical equipment.
  • Do not use any electrical equipment if you are tired or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, which could affect your ability to make safe judgments about how to operate it safely.

Keep combustibles such as paper, boxes or rags at least three feet away from all heat-producing equipment.

Keep combustibles such as paper, boxes or rags at least three feet away from all heat-producing equipment. This includes microwaves and stoves.
Do not leave combustible materials in the oven or microwave when it is turned on.
Do not leave combustible materials on top of a refrigerator or other appliance that can become very hot during use.

Use battery-powered flashlights to avoid the danger of gas leaks when searching for a fuse box during a power outage.

A battery-powered flashlight is a good option during power outages, as it’s safer than using a gas-powered flashlight. Gas-powered flashlights could explode at any time and cause injury or death. Battery-powered lights are safer because they don’t pose the risk of explosion and can be used in areas where there may be electrical fires or gas leaks.

Conclusion

The electrical system is an integral part of any business or home, but it can also be a dangerous one. It’s important to keep safety in mind when working with electricity so that your employees and family members don’t get hurt. If you would like an electrical inspection or advise, contact us.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Need an Electrician in Henderson, Las Vegas or Boulder City, NV?

Contact us today, and one of our experts will get in touch and help you with all your Electrical related questions.

Scroll to Top